Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pioneer Day

I know this is late, but better late than now. I want to share a story about John Taylor, when I was on my mission in Nauvoo I got to share this story, when I served in his home. I love it so much. I’m so grateful for the early saints of the church.

As the story is told, the Taylor family left Nauvoo in the spring of 1846 with several covered wagons and a carriage. As they traveled out into Iowa Territory, one of their sons cried constantly. No one could comfort him or get him to tell why he was crying.

One morning his father sat him down and said, “You have to tell me what is the matter. You can’t go on crying day and night.” Through his tears the small boy said, “I miss my rocking horse.”

Although there were dangers in Nauvoo, as Church leaders were know to the mobs, John Taylor rode back to Nauvoo, found the rocking horse, and returned it to his son. He tied the little toy on the outside of the wagon.

They traveled on to the banks of the Missouri River where they stayed at Winter Quarters.

In the spring the family packed their covered wagon, and with the little rocking horse tied on the side again and began their trek to the Rocky Mountains.

We often hear of the great service the early leaders of the Church rendered to the Saints, but what a special thing it is to hear this story of John Taylor, the devoted father.

0 comments: